Kangra town is famous for its temples.Notable is the shrine dedicated to goddess Bajreshwari. Kangra is steeped in history and its ruined fort - Nagarkot, stands as testimony to its glorious past. The town was attacked by Mohammed Ghaznavi and subjugated by Emperor Feroz Tuglak and Maharaja Rant Singh. Earlier, Kangra was the capital of the great hill state, its renowned ruler being Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch, a great patron of arts. The Miniature and Rajpur Schools of hill paintings flourished during his reign.Now kangra has a big bazaar , people of all valley come to buy things for household because of large market and few modern outlets.
Popularly known as Nagarkot Dham or Kot Kangra, the temple dedicated to goddess Vajreshwari Devi was once the most renowned shrines of Northern India. It is a famous Shaktipeeth where the left breast of Pauranik Sati Parvati is stated to have fallen. The Devi is worshipped in the form of Pindi. A legend avers that the body of demon king Jalandhara is buried at this place. According to another legend, the Goddess Vajreshwari received injuries while killing the demon Mahishasur which were cured by applying butter. The tradition is still celebrated on Makar Sakranti every year.
Though the main temple was ravaged by foreign invaders and completely destroyed by the 1905 earthquake, it has been restored to its pristine glory. It was rebuilt by the Temple Restoration Committee in the existing form in 1930. The three domes of this temple depict the architecture of religions places of Hindu, Muslims and Sikhs which is quite rare.
Kangra Fort Kangra Kangra, the land of ancient Trigarta, occupying the lower valley of the fleas and its tributaries, was in ancient times, one of the leading hill states of Punjab and it was a part of the Kingdom of Jalandhara. When the plains of Punjab were subjugated by the Muslims, the Kings of that principality withdrew to their territories in the hills, retained in the Kangra Fort a strong hold of which more than once thwarted the attempts of the Muslim invaders.
The Fort, also known as the Nagarkot or Kot Kangra, is situated to the south-west of the old Kangra town (lat 32°, 5' Long 76°,15') and built on the top of the precipitious hill on the confluence of the Banganga and Manjhi or Patal Ganga rivers which also serve as the most of the Fort. Access to the Fort from the town at this place where the ridge of rock which separates the two rivers is narrowed to a mere neck of about 50 m across which a deep ditch has been hewn at the foot of the walls. The antiquity of the Fort is traced back to a much earlier period. The earliest extant remains inside the Fort are the Jaina and Brahmanical temples which could be dated to around the ninth-tenth century AD. In the annals of history, its first reference occurs at the time of invasions of Mahmud Ghazni in AD 1009. In 1337 AD it was captured by Muhammad Tughlaq and again in 1351 by his successor Firoz Shah. But it did not fall to the Muslims permanently until 1621, when after a siege of fourteen months it was conquered by Jahangir, who garrisoned it with his troops and appointed a Mughal Governor to keep the hill chief in the check. The surrounding states however, remained in the hands of the Katoch Rajas. In the second half of the eighteenth century, after the death of its Governor Nawab Alif Khan, the Mughal power rapidly declined and Raja Sansar Chand II succeeded in 1786 in recovering the ancient fortress of his ancestors. But by carrying his ambitious design he came into conflict first with the neighbouring hill chiefs then with the Gurkhas of Nepal, under Amar Singh Thapa and finally with the Sikh ruler Maharaja Ranjit Singh to whom he was compelled to surrender the Fort in 1809. It remained in the hands of the Sikhs till 1846 when it was made over to the British Government along with the hill States as far as Ravi. The Fort continued to be held by a garrison but was evacuated sometime before the great earthquake on 4th April 1905 in which extensive damage was sustained. The Fort, occupying a long strip of land is enclosed with high rampart and the walls cover a circuit of about four kilometres. The main entrance gate is called the Ranjit Singh Gate which is followed by a narrow path leading to Jahangir gate, through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza, both attributed to Nawab Alif Khan, the first Mughal Governor of Kangra. Thereafter is the Andheri Darwaza from where the path is forked into two directions. The path to the left, through Darsani Darwaza, leads to the portion containing the Laxminarayan temple, datable to Circa ninth-tenth century AD and shrines of Sitala and Ambika Devi. To the north between the two last mentioned buildings is a staircase led up to the palace, known as Shish Mahal and further beyond to the south-west is the polygonal watch tower overlooking the valley. The other path leads to the portion containing the mihrab of a mosque built in Jahangir's time, the Kapoor Sagar tank and other structures.
The Fort, occupying a long strip of land is enclosed with high rampart and the walls cover a circuit of about four kilometres. The main entrance gate is called the Ranjit Singh Gate which is followed by a narrow path leading to Jahangir gate, through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza,
both attributed to Nawab Alif Khan, the first Mughal Governor of Kangra. Thereafter is the Andheri Darwaza from where the path is forked into two directions. The path to the left, through Darsani Darwaza, leads to the portion containing the Laxminarayan temple, datable to Circa ninth-tenth century AD and shrines of Sitala and Ambika Devi. To the north between the two last mentioned buildings is a staircase led up to the palace, known as Shish Mahal and further beyond to the south-west is the polygonal watch tower overlooking the valley. The other path leads to the portion containing the mihrab of a mosque built in Jahangir's time, the Kapoor Sagar tank and other structures.
The most valuable monuments in the Kangra Fort are the so-called temples of Laxminarayan and Sitala, two square chambers profusely decorated with carvings. The ceilings of the Laxminarayan temple is remarkable for its elaborate decoration: The destruction of these two temples is due to earthquake and is perhaps great loss of an irreparable nature. The temple of Ambika Devi, still used for worship is much plainer structure evidently of no great age. The only ancient portion seams to be the pillars and architraves of the mandapa covered by a flat dome. To the south of the Ambika Devi temple are two small Jaina shrines facing west, one of them contains a plain pedestal and in the other is placed a seated image of Adinath, with partly obliterated inscription dated Samvat 1523 i.e.AD 1466 in the reign of Katoch Raja, Sansar Chand I.
The clearance and conservation work brought to light number of loose sculptures and architectural members of the monument which have been kept in a sculpture shed. The important ones, six in numbers have been exhibited in the Himachal State Museum, Shimla. There is a proposal to exhibit the remaining loose sculptures and architectural members by renovating and reconditioning the' existing portions of the monument.
Places to see| what to see | Sightseeing Kangra Town
Bajreshwari Devi Temple , Kangra, Himachal Pradesh
Just outside the town is the temple dedicated to Bajreshwari Devi. Known once for its legendary wealth, this temple was subject to successive depredation by invaders from the North. Mohammed of Ghazni is known to have departed with a king`s ransom in gold, silver and jewels in 1009. Destroyed completely in 1905 by an earthquake, it was rebuilt in 1920.
Kangra Fort , Kangra, Himachal Pradesh
The historical Kangra Fort was built by Bhuma Chand. This fort had been the centre of attraction for the rulers of northern India, since a long time.The remains of the fort of the rulers of Kangra are located on a strategic height, overlooking the Ban Ganga and Manjhi rivers. The first attack on the fort was made by the Raja of Kashmir `Shreshtha` in 470 AD. In 1846 Kangra fort fell into the hands of the British. The temple of Laxmi Narayan and Adinath located inside the kangra fort are dedicated to Jainism. Inside the fort are two ponds, one of them is called Kapur Sagar. The fort was badly damaged in a 1905 earthquake.
Kangra Valley Rail -See the Majestic and Mighty Dhauladhars with the Kangra Toy Train , The kangra Valley rail is one of best oldest Narrow Guage Rail Line in India built by Britishers during their regime.The valley Train attracts number of Tourist to view the Kangra Valley.
Maharana Pratap Sagar , Kangra, Himachal Pradesh
At an altitude of 450 metres above sea level, 32 degree north and 76 degrees east. In district Kangra 170 k.m. from Chandigarh, 110 k.m. from Amritsar, 55 k.m. from headquarters at Dharamshala. The closest railway stations are at Mukerian 30 k.m., and Pathankot at 32 k.m. The settlements of Nagrota Surian and Jawali-which are located on the sagar`s periphery-are connected by the charming narrow gauge Kangra railway line that connects Pathankot to Jogindernagar. The closest airport is Gaggal 40 k.m. The lake is well served by a network of roads.
Named in honour of the great patriot Maharana Pratap (1572-97 AD). Maharana Pratap struggled valiantly for freedom of Mewar-as for the principle of independence. In words of chroniclers James Tod and william Crook, "He spurned every overture that had submission for its basis". Over the river Beas, the Pong dam was completed in 1976. Its reservoir covers an area of about 45000 hectares at maximum possible flooding.The level varies every season and averages around 30000 hectares. Over 200 villages with a population of over 85000 people lie along the wetland.
Hotels , Guest Houses in Kangra Town
Maurya Hotel Kangra , Lonely Planet Recommeded.Located in the Centre of town with all amenties.Book at firstname.lastname@example.org www.hotelmauryakangra.com
Executive Engineer, HPPWD, Kangra
Rest House, Lunj
Executive Engineer, HPPWD, Kangra
Parmar Tour & Travels
Sh. Rajeev Kumar, Kangra
Shri Chamunda Mata Ji Tour & Travels
Sh. Atul Kumar, Nagrota Bagwan
Kangra is located at 32.1° N 76.27° E. It has an average elevation of 733 metres (2404 ft). The district of Kangra extends from the Jalandhar Doab far into the southern ranges of the Himalaya. The Beas is the only important river here. Tea cultivation was introduced into Kangra about 1850. The Palampur fair, established by government with a view to fostering commerce with central Asia, attracts a small concourse of Yarkandi merchants. The Lahulis carry on an enterprising trade with Ladakh and countries beyond the frontier, by means of pack sheep and goats. Rice, tea, potatoes, spices, wool and honey are the chief exports.
As of 2001 India census, Kangra had a population of 9155. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Kangra has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 81%. In Kangra, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The fort, also known as Nagarkot or Kot Kangra is situated to the south-west of the old Kangra town and built atop the precipitous hill on the confluence of the Banganga and Patalganga rivers which together serve as the moat for the fort. The antiquity of the fort is traced back to a much earlier period. The earliest extant remains inside the fort are Jaina and Brahmanical temples which would be assigned to circa ninth-tenth century A.D. In the annals of history its earliest reference dates from the time of its invasions by Mahmud Ghazni in A.D. 1009. It was captured by Muhammad Tughluq and his successor Firuz Shah Tughluq in A.D. 1337 and A.D. 1351 respectively.
Kangra, overlooking the Banganga and Manjhi rivers, was the capital of 'Trigatra' land of Raja Bhum Chand, the progenitor of a line of 500 kings. Fort of Kangra was so famous for the storage of riches that Mahmud Gaznavi in his fourth expedition to India defeated Punjab and directly came to Kangra in A.D. 1009. The colossal buildings, once a challenge to monarchs, have been reduced to ruins especially after the earthquake of 1905. The entrance to the fort is guarded by a large gate of thick wooden planks fuxed on the hinges of an arch constructed with sand stones. It is almost 15 feet in eight. It is named as Ranjit Singh Gate. A moat cut into rocks, connecting Banganga and Manjhi rivers separates the fort from the outside world.
Citizens of India and visitors of SAARC (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives and Afghanistan) and BIMSTEC Countries (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Myanmar) - Rs. 5 per head.
US $ 2 or Indian Rs. 100/- per head
(Free entry to children up to 15 years)
If you need household, sanitation and bathroom fittings buy at Sehgal Enterprises, Near Post Office, Kangra.Best place to buy sanitation products.This shop known for its Quality.phone 01892-265244 (Sunil Sehgal)
Gold Merchants , Kangra Being hub of Gold and Silver Market.Best Shop :Jagdish Rai and Sunil Kumar Gold and Silver Merchants, Opposite Dr.Pahwa Clinic.Main Bazaar.Phone 01892-265038 (Sanjeev Sehgal) [ Shop of Late Jagdish Rai Sehgal , Freedom Fighter Independence Struggle, Were President of Gold Merchants Kangra , President Kangra urban Drift society.He Expired on January 15th , 2008]
The coming of painters from the Mughal court in the second quarter of the 18th century led to a complete transformation of the existing Basholi style of paintings and the birth of Guler-Kangra style of paintings. This late Pahari style of paintings first appeared in Guler and then in Kangra. Raja Goverdhan Singh (1744-1773 AD) of Guler was an early patron of this art form. The Kangra paintings reached their maturity during the reign of Maharaja Sansar Chand (1775-1823 AD). These paintings are marked by their liquid grace and delicacy. Fattu, Parkhu and Khushala were important painters of the Kangra style. Many themes like the Bhagwata Purana, Gita Govinda and the Sat Sai of Nala-Damayanti were portrayed in these paintings. Another subject of the Kangra paintings was the “Twelve Months”, in which the artists tried to bring out the effect of seasons round the year on the emotions of human beings. The Kangra style is by far the most poetic and lyrical of Indian styles, says art historian J. C. Harle. His favourite subject here is "the idealization of woman, in flowing sari, head half-covered with a shawl, demure but stately, passionate and shy". In many cases the works of the Kangra School are accompanied by the texts inscribed in the Nagari characters. The Kangra style became well entrenched in the Hills and many offshoots emerged in the regions like Kullu, Nurpur, Chamba and Mandi. The Bhuri Singh Museum in Chamba is best known for its exquisite collection of the Pahari miniatures. This genre of painting continued till late in the 19th century, after which it declined in its importance.
Kangra Arts Promotion Society (KAPS) is an NGO working for the revival of the art of Kangra painting, which now is on the verge of extinction. The objective of the KAPS is to ensure that the rich tradition of the Kangra School of Indian painting is preserved and is passed on to the future generation.
A true Kangra painting is a product of number of processes like preparation of hand made paper, preparation of natural colors, sketching and colouring. These processes require great amount of expertise and labour.
The paintings tell us about the artists’ talent, his dextrous hand in line drawing and his choice of colours. Apart from the remarkable fineness and intricate brushwork, the Kangra paintings are characterized by the skilful use of brilliant pigments prepared from mineral and vegetable extracts, which possess enamel-like lustre. The freshness in colours and delicacy in execution, is remarkable.
Presently, there are very few painters are practising this pictorial art of Kangra. Many of them work in obscurity without any means of recognition or hope of sponsorship. They live on meagre earnings and usually have to adopt other means for their livelihood.
KAPS aims to promote and protect the world famous art of Kangra painting in such a manner that this great art is restored to its original splendour and state of glory. It will be endeavour of the KAPS to provide to the art connoisseurs the masterpieces of Kangra paintings at a reasonable price.
History of Kangra Fort and Town
The Katoch dynasty are reputed to have ruled the town of Kangra and its vicinity since time immemorial. Several very extended interregnums are however acknowledged, most significantly the period c.1620-1783, when the area was placed under the control of a mughal garrison. As the mughal power waned, many former officers of the mughal empire took autonomous charge of their areas of control, and this situation obtained in Kangra. Meanwhile (in 1758), Ghamand Chand, a supposed scion of the dispossessed family, attained a position of power in the Punjab plains, being appointed governor of Jalandhar by Ahmed Shah Abdali. Building upon this ascendency, Ghamand Chand's grandson Sansar Chand rallied an army, ousted the then ruler of Kangra, Saif Ali Khan, and gained possession of his patrimony. This came to pass in 1783, and Sansar Chand was aided by the Kanhaiya misl, one of several informal but armed militias of Sikhs that roamed the Punjab in that era.
During the campaign, Raja Sansar Chand and his mercenary force overran other nearby principalities and compelled the submission of their rulers. He reigned over a relatively large part of present-day Himachal Pradesh for perhaps two decades, but his ambitions brought him into conflict with the Gorkhas ruling the then nascent state of Nepal. The Gorkhas and the recently humbled hill-states allied to invade Kangra in 1806. The Raja was defeated and left with no territory beyond the immediate vicinity of the fortress of Kangra, which he managed to retain with the help of a small Sikh force sent to his aid by Ranjit Singh. In this despair, the Raja treated with Ranjit Singh at Jawalamukhi in 1809. By that treaty, Raja Sansar Chand surrendered his (now largely notional) state to Ranjit Singh, in return for a substantial fief to be held under the suzerainty of the latter. This estate consisted, in 1947, of 20 villages yielding a revenue of Rs. 40,000/- and encompassing an area of 324 km². Ranjit Singh duly established his rule over the land; Sansar Chand received in appenage the estate of Lambagraon. British era: As a result of the First Anglo-Sikh War (1846), the area between the Sutlej and Ravi rivers, including the hill states, were ceded by the Sikhs to the HEIC. Thus, Lambagraon came under the authority of the British and was one of the feudatory estates placed under the Simla Hill States' Superintendency. In deference with the ruling dynasty's association with Kangra town (and given the fact that the estate fell within Kangra district) the estate was referred to as "Kangra-Lambagraon".
The princely estate of Kangra-Lambagraon acceded unto the Dominion of India in 1947; the following year, it was merged with its sister states of the erstwhile Simla superintendency to create a province named "Himachal Pradesh", administered by a Chief Commissioner. Purported timeline of the Katoch dynasty
This article or section may contain original research or unverified claims.
C. 4300 BC
Rajanaka Bhumi Chand founded the Katoch Dynasty
C. 3000 BC
The Rajas of Kangra fought against the Hindu deity lord Rama
C. 1500 BC
(234th) Raja Susarma Chandra fought against the Pandavas in the Mahabharata war
He also built the fort of Kangra
C. 900 BC
The Katoch kings fought the Persian and Assyrian attacks on Punjab
C. 500 BC to
Rajanaka Parmanand Chandra (better known as Porus) fought Alexander the Great
C. 275 BC
The Katoch Rajas fought Ashoka the Great and lost their lands in Multan
C. 100 AD
The Rajas of Kangra fought numerous battles against the Rajas of Kannauj
C. 470 AD
The Rajas of Kangras fought the Rajas of Kashmir for the supermacy in the hills
C. 643 AD
Hsuan Tsang visited the Kingdom of Kangra (then known as "Jallandhra")
C. 853 AD Rajanaka Prithvi Chandra's reign
C. 903 AD * Coinage of Kangra from this period can be seen in the Himachal Museums
C.1009 AD Mahmud of Ghazni invades Kangra (captures a large booty)
C. 1170 AD Kingdom of Kangra is divided into two parts, Kangra and Jaswan
The Katoch armies fight against Muhammad of Ghor (the lands of Jalandhar were lost c.1220 AD)
C. 1341 AD
Rajanaka Rup Chandra's looting expeditions take him till the gates of Delhi
The Katoch kings fight Taimur
Tughlaqs grant the title of Mian to the Katoch Royal Family
Further division of the Kangra State; state of Guler is founded
C.1526 - 1556 AD
Sikandar Shah Suri and the Rajas of Kangra combine their forces against Akbar but are defeated
The Raja of Kangra renders his alliance to Emperor Akbar and in return in given the title of Maharaja
Later, the Mughals attack the fort of Kangra 52 times but fail to defeat it
C. 1620 AD
Mughals occupy the fort of Kangra
First European travelers to the court of Kangra
C. 1700 AD
Maharaja Bhim Chandra unites with Guru Gobind Singh against Aurangzeb
He receives the title of Dharam Rakshak from the Guru
C. 1750 AD
Maharaja Ghamand Chandra is made the (first ever Rajput) Nizam of Jalandhar by the Durranis
C. 1775 AD to C. 1820 AD
The golden age of Kangra under Raja Sansar Chandra
Kangra miniature painting flourishes under him
C. 1820 AD
Decline of the Kangra state
Kangra fort occupied by the Sikhs after the Gorkha War
The Sikhs cede Kangra to the HEIC
The Katoch kings fight for their independence against the British. Raja Pramod Chand loses the battle and is taken prisoner to Almoda – he dies there
Maharaja Jai Chandra of Kangra-Lambagraon is granted the title of "Maharaja" as a hereditary distinction, and a salute of 11 guns as a personal honour.
Maharaja Dhruv Dev Chandra (last ruler of Kangra-Lambagraon) merges his estate with the Dominion of India, when India gains Independence
H.H. the Dalai Lama takes up residence at Dharamsala near Kangra
The Princely Order is abolished in India and the Rajas of Kangra-Lambagraon become ordinary citizens The district of Kangra is merged with the newly founded state of Himachal Pradesh.
Titles held by the Kangra family
Rajanaka (Supreme King)
Katoch (best in swordmanship)
Bada Raja (big king)
Mian (a muslim honorific)
Maharaja (great king)
Dharam Rakshak (protector of the Hindu faith)
Nizam-i-Jaladhra (Governor of Jalandhar)
Chattarpati Naresh (king)
KCIE (Knight Commander of the Indian Empire)
FRSA (Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts)
Dharam Rattan (Jewel of righteousness)
Alha Malik (high master)
Himachal Ratan (Jewel of the Himalayas)
JAINS IN KANGRA'S HISTORY
Kangra, situated in the idyllic surroundings of Shivalik hills in the present day Himachal Pradesh in India was not only an important Jain Centre in the olden days but also an important place of pilgrimage for Jains from all over India. This was on account of a legendary Jain Temple dedicated to Lord Adhinath, the first Jain Teerthankara. Kangra Was dubbed as a 'Mahaterth' and won the epithet of 'Shatrunjaya of the North' it is a dark chapter of Indian history that the very existence of this important place went into oblivion. So much so that it went out of Jain consciousness itself. It was because of a number of factors, the last one perhaps was the devastating earthquake which hit the region in 1905 causing almost a complete obliteration of whatever remained of the jain temples. A miraculous survivor was the idol of lord Adinatha which in spite of its large size remained undamaged. However its existence remained unknown to the Jains till a change occurrence. This will be narrated later. The Legend
The legend holds that during the Mahabharata war, King Susharma Chandra Katoch of Trigart desh, fought on the side of Kauravas against the Pandavas. He was responsible for launching the attack on Virat Nagar. When Kauravas got defeated, Sushrama Chandra retreated to the hiil. He built a fort and founded the city of 'Susham pur' in the 'Sapadalakash' presendoy 'shivalik' hills The fort itself was was earlier called 'Khangargarh' or Kangdak witch appears to have evolved into modern day's Kangra. Slowly the habitation around the fort also came to acquire the name Kangra instead of 'Susharmpour' or' Nagarkot'. The earliest reference to Khangargarh is available in 'Vividh Teertha Kalpa' written by Acharya Jin Prabha Suri.
The inscription at Baijath Paprola (Keergram) temple supports the conclusion that Kangra is the new name of Susharmpur/Nagarkot.
There are some very interesting and noteworthy points in the connection. The first is the legend that the temple of lord Adinath, the first Jain Teerthanker and the fort were miraculously brought about by Goddess Ambika during the reign of King Susharma Chandra. The legend states that the King, one day, decided to abstain from all food till he had darshan of Lord Adinath at Shatrunjay, This was very far of place. Goddess Ambika, the kuldevi of Katoch King and Shashan devi of 23rd Teerthanker, lord Neminath, overnight brought about the existence of the temple dedicated to lord Adinath at the fort to save the king from certain death due to starvation as per the Jain scriptures, Lord Neminath was a contemporary and a cousin of Lord Krishna. He was about to get married to Rajimati, daughter of Raja Ugrasaen, when he decided to renounce the world.
The story goes that Krishana engineered a strategy so that Neminath chooses to renounce the world. Otherwise Neminath with his extreme strength power would have been a threat to Krishna's supremacy. It may not be out of place to mention here that account of battle between Kauravs and Pandavas in Mahabharat amply demonstrate the worldly wisdom diplomatic skill of Lord Krishana. Goddess Ambika, though common to both the Hindu and jain pantheon of goddesses, occupies an exalted position amongst the jain as the Shashan Devi of lord Neminath. Accounts of various pilgrimages to Kangra bear references to the worship of Ambika along - with the worship at the temple of Adinath at the fort. Incidentally, the oldest extent idol of Ambika is understood to be a jain idol.
Jain history of Kangra
For many centuries till the twentieth the jain connection with Kangra remained a forgotten chepter of history. In 1872-73, Sir Alexander Cunningham was first to notice the remains of old Jain temple in the Kangra fort and in Kangra town. Although some of his observations show his inadequate familiarity with jain tradition, but the details mentioned by him are sufficient to show a significant presence of jain ruins both in the the fort as well as the town ship. But in sprite of sir cunningham's discovery in 1872-73 and later reports by Buhlar other the jain connection of Kangra remained almost unknow in the Jain consciousness till a change discovery of a manuscript called "Vijnapti Triveni" by Muni Jin Vijaya during his studies at paten. Vijnapati Triveni is a travelogue of pilgrimage undertaken in VS 1484 (1427 AD), from Faridpur in Sindh to Nagarkot (Kangra) and back. Vijanpati are usually the accounts of activities of the monks during their various sojourns undertaken at the behest of their guru. The term is also applied to the formal request by Jain Shravak Sanghs to their guru praying him to come for Chaturmas to their place to direct all the religious activities during that period. Quite often such vijnaptis were long, poetic, illustrated and containing many details of the local area and people as well as information of surrounding area. The historians especially the jain historians will forever remain grateful to Muni Jin Vijay ji for having done a sterling service by publishing the contents of Vijanpati Triveni in 1916 AD and thus bringing to life a forgotten chapter of Jain history. It also underlines the importance of examining the vast reservoir of jain manuscripts, which may reveal new facts about Indian history. About Kanga, Sahitya Vachaspati Bhanwarlal Nahata did further study and research this contained a summary of various reference to Kangra in Jain literature as well as a compilation of various compositions on Kangra Mahateerath by various Jain monks and shravaks who went to Kangra on pilgrimage during the years 1391-1634.